Master in Bioinformatics for Health Sciences (MB4HS)
(January 2021-December 2022)
Master proposer: Prof.ssa Paola Defilippi
Decreto Rettorale n. 2642 del 27/7/2020
The course is available in English
Introduction to the course
The two years curriculum of the MB4LS is designed to bridge the gap between data and discovery. Since biology is now driven by data, students in the master’s degree program will learn how to analyze biological data and apply the analytical skills and those analyses to pioneering research and industry challenges.
The course will provide the computer science knowledge and bioinformatics instruments required to extract biological knowledge from omics data:
- The 1st year provides the computer sciences knowledge required to tackle bioinformatics problems.
- The 2nd year provides the knowledge in bioinformatics to handle genomics/ proteomics and big data-based projects.
This course has been specifically designed for life scientists interested to become active in the area of multi-omics data analysis and mining. MB4LS is designed to prepare young researchers to interact with the world’s most advanced biological and clinical datasets and will prepare students for careers in the omics-enabled biosciences.
- Introduction in Computer Sciences (Foundation of Computer Science, Operative Systems and Networking, Computer Architecture) 48 hours theoretical course
- Programming in Python 40 hours theoretical course and 60 hours lab practice
- Algorithms in Bioinformatics 48 hours theoretical course and 48 hours lab practice
- Statistics and Probability 50 hours theoretical course and 20 hours lab practice
- Design and Managing of Data Bases 32 hours theoretical course and 32 hours lab practice
- High-throughput Technologies in Genomics, Proteomics and metabolomics 24 hours theoretical course
- Epigenomics 32 hours theoretical course
- Advance genomics 24 hours theoretical course
- Programming in R (Programming in R for Bioinformatics, Advance Data Structure for Genomics) 64 hours theoretical course and 64 hours lab practice
- Advance Technologies in Bioinformatics 24 hours theoretical course and 32 hours lab practice
- Data analysis workflows for DNA, RNA and Proteins 64 hours theoretical course and 64 hours lab practice
- Proteomics Data Analysis 24 hours theoretical course and 32 hours lab practice
- Big Data Analysis 24 hours theoretical course and 32 hours lab practice
Ethics and Privacy 24 hours theoretical course
The computer science program of the 1st year will build the ground for the bioinformatics applications of the 2nd year. The focus will be on Python and R which are the most used programming instruments used in bioinformatics. On the 1st year the programming knowledge will be integrated by the acquisition of statistics for biological data and basic database design and managing.
Focused lesson will be provided to understand the high-throughput technologies which require bioinformatics skills for their data analysis. Finally, the 2nd year will be fully focused on learning about data analysis practice on various OMICS.
Instructors will use lectures, discussions, exercises and other interactive learning activities to strike a balance between theory and practice and to stimulate discussion among the participants and professors. A practical approach based on the analysis and resolution of real bioinformatics problems will be taken.
Participants will work on projects proposed by the master faculty or by external laboratories. The preparation of Master dissertation will be assisted by a master faculty tutor.
Being able to deal effectively with OMICS data analysis.
At the end of the training program, participants will be able to:
- Manage the use of procedures, techniques, methods required for genomics, transcriptomics and proteomics data analysis.
- Support life scientists in the design of high-throughput OMICS experiments.
- Design, modify, integrate analysis workflows.
- Applying effectively their bioinformatics knowledge to real world experiments.
Covid-19 pandemic will probably still limit the frontal activities in 2021. For this reason, the master courses will be always provided in streaming and when possible also as frontal teaching with streaming.
The streaming/frontal teaching will be provided two day in a week: Wednesday and Thursday.
The practical exercises will be instead provided on Friday and they are returned by Friday next week. On Friday there is also the discussion on the critical issues encountered on the previous exercises. Friday discussion on practical is only provided in streaming.
All didactical material for the master courses is available in the master’s moodle.
The Master faculty includes professors from the computer sciences, big data, bioinformatics, genomics and proteomics fields to guarantee top level training.
This program involves participants with different biological backgroud, who will thus have an opportunity to share their different experiences. Furthermore, it also offers a range of learning situations in which participants can enhance their analytical and problem solving skills.
The evaluation strategy uses different types of assessment.
- Self-assessment. Participants will be given tools to check their own level of knowledge and produce feedback on their learning progress.
- Systematic assignments and exams will assess the knowledge and skills acquired throughout the program. Participants should complete and submit the compulsory assignments and exams for each module, and get the review and approval of the tutor before the prescribed deadlines. The dissertation should be approved by the scientific committee.
- Monitoring and evaluation of the program. Continuous monitoring of the program will be undertaken by the activity manager, including participants' opinions, will indicate any necessary corrective measures to be taken. At the end of the program, participants will express their opinions about the course's topics, activities, administration and organization in a final evaluation form.
Lauree del vecchio ordinamento
- Laurea in Scienze Biologiche, Laurea in Biotecnologie, Laurea in Chimica, Laurea in Scienze Naturali.
Non è necessario il possesso dell'abilitazione all'esercizio della professione
Lauree di I livello dell'area scienze della vita (ex DM 509/99 e DM 270/2004).
- L02= Laurea in Biotecnologie
- L13= Laurea in Scienze Biologiche
- L27= Laurea in Scienze e Tecnologie Chimiche
- L32= Laurea in Scienze e Tecnologie per l’Ambiente e la Natura
- L/SNT3= Lauree delle professioni sanitarie tecniche
Non è necessario il possesso dell'abilitazione all'esercizio della professione
Lauree di II livello (ex DM 509/99 e DM 270/2004)
- LM6= Laurea in Biologia
- LM7= Laurea in Biotecnologie Agrarie
- LM8= Laurea in Biotecnologie Industriali
- LM9= Laurea in Biotecnologie Mediche, Veterinarie e Farmaceutiche
- LM13= Laurea in Farmacia e Farmacia Industriale
- LM41= Laurea in Medicina e Chirurgia
- LM 42= Laurea in Medicina Veterinaria
- LM54= Laurea in Scienze Chimiche
- LM60= Laurea in Scienze della Terra
- LM61= Laurea in Scienze della Nutrizione Umana
- LM69= Laurea in Scienze e Tecnologie Agrarie
- LM71= Laurea in Scienze e Tecnologie della Chimica Industriale
- LM86= Laurea in Scienze Zootecniche e Tecnologie Animali
Non è necessario il possesso dell'abilitazione all'esercizio della professione.
Other: The recognition of foreign qualifications will be carried out in accordance with article 2.5 of the Master Regulation of the University of Turin.
- Defilippi Paola BIO-13 Dip. di Biotecnologie Molecolari e Scienze per la Salute PO
- Calogero Raffaele BIO-11 Dip. di Biotecnologie Molecolari e Scienze per la Salute PA
- Cordero Francesca INF-01 Dip. Informatica RU
- Marco Beccuti INF-01 Dip. Informatica RU
- Poli Valeria BIO-11 Dip. di Biotecnologie Molecolari e Scienze per la Salute PO
- Altruda Fiorella BIO-13 Dip. di Biotecnologie Molecolari e Scienze per la Salute PO
- Registration start: 31/07/2020 h. 9.30
- Registration end: 31/10/2020 h. 15:30
To do the master pre-registration, please follow these steps
- Register to the University portal:
- Ones registered go "Enrolment/Inscriptions Menu" and fill Personal Data and identity document.
- Click on Admission test and select the button at the end of the page.
- Select Master di Primo Livello (First Level Master)
- In the next screen select Master di Primo Livello in Bioinformatics for Health Sciences.
- Follow the instructions for pre-registration. You will be requested to insert the information referring to your degree, and you will be asked to upload your CV and a motivation letter.
Before officially enrolling in the course, the student will submit a degree certificate with exams and scores, and any additional documents stating the acquired experiences in the fields related to the Master.
- date of publication of the admission ranking list: 13/11/2020
- registration: from 16/11/2020 from h. 09:30am to 30/11/2020 to h.3:00 pm
- repechage: from 23/11/2020 h 09:30am to 25/11/2020 3pm
- course start: January 2021
- course end: December 2022
enrolment fee: € 5.000,00
- 1st instalment € 2,500.00 of the enrolment fee.
- 2nd instalment € 2,500.00 of the enrolment fee, to be payed by January 2022.
- minimum: 20 seats
- maximum: 30 seats
Dipartimento di Biotecnologie Molecolari e Scienze per la Salute Via Nizza 52 - 10126 Torino -